Veteran Congress leader BR Yadav passes away
Bilaspur: Veteran Congress leader and former Madhya Pradesh minister BR Yadav passed away here on Wednesday following a prolonged illness, family sources said.
He was 84.
Yadav was Cabinet Minister and held prominent portfolios during the Congress governments headed by Arjun Singh, Motilal Vora and Digvijay Singh in erstwhile Madhya Pradesh.
He was elected four times from Bilaspur Assembly constituency in Chhattisgarh.
Starting his career as a journalist, Yadav was also active in the fields of literature, art and culture.
He played a key role in getting Municipal Corporation status for Bilaspur, establishing Guru Ghasias University here besides facilitating setting up of the headquarters of South Eastern Coalfields Ltd in Bilaspur.
Congress leaders expressed grief over the demise of Yadav and paid rich tributes to him, describing him as an inspiration for politicians in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
In his condolence message, AICC Treasurer and Rajya Sabha MP Motilal Vora said Yadav will always be remembered as an inspirational politician.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre