Wary of SIMI plans, MP ATS wants trial court in Central Jail
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS) on Monday requested a sessions court here to set up a special court on the premises of the Bhopal Central Jail for conducting trial of suspected SIMI members lodged in the facility.
The request for setting up of the special court was made to the district and sessions court judge by ATS IG Sanjeev Shami on security reasons, sources said.
Last year, seven suspected members of SIMI had escaped from Khandwa jail. One of them was later nabbed.
The IG said that according to latest input with ATS, other SIMI men in jail might pull off a similar escape while being shifted to the sessions court for trial.
Recently, the ATS had shifted all the arrested SIMI members, accused of participating in terror activities in various parts of the country, to the Central Jail from other prisons of the state owing to security concerns.
The IG said if the jailed members are brought to the district court a lot of security will have to be deployed which will create problems for the general public and others visiting the courts.
The IG said establishing a special court on the jail premises will also rule out the possibility of the SIMI members escaping enroute to the court or while being shifted to the jail after the hearing.
ATS had earlier requested the court to conduct trial in such cases involving elaborate security arrangements through video-conferencing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video alert! Here's how Karan Singh Grover surprised Bipasha Basu on their wedding day
- Adele’s new song 'Send My Love' is so psychedelic that you'll break your replay button – Watch here
- PHOTO: Priceless reaction of David Warner's daughters when told they'll soon meet Daddy!
- IPL 9, Qualifier 1: Gujarat Lions vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - Preview
- IPL 2016: David Warner cannot stop praising Virat Kohli's unbelievable form in ninth edition