Wary of SIMI plans, MP ATS wants trial court in Central Jail
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS) on Monday requested a sessions court here to set up a special court on the premises of the Bhopal Central Jail for conducting trial of suspected SIMI members lodged in the facility.
The request for setting up of the special court was made to the district and sessions court judge by ATS IG Sanjeev Shami on security reasons, sources said.
Last year, seven suspected members of SIMI had escaped from Khandwa jail. One of them was later nabbed.
The IG said that according to latest input with ATS, other SIMI men in jail might pull off a similar escape while being shifted to the sessions court for trial.
Recently, the ATS had shifted all the arrested SIMI members, accused of participating in terror activities in various parts of the country, to the Central Jail from other prisons of the state owing to security concerns.
The IG said if the jailed members are brought to the district court a lot of security will have to be deployed which will create problems for the general public and others visiting the courts.
The IG said establishing a special court on the jail premises will also rule out the possibility of the SIMI members escaping enroute to the court or while being shifted to the jail after the hearing.
ATS had earlier requested the court to conduct trial in such cases involving elaborate security arrangements through video-conferencing.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her
- Indian Naval Ships Veer, Nipat to be decommissioned today