Woman raped by sibling ends life after police apathy
Gwalior: A 32-year-woman, who was allegedly raped by her brother committed suicide here, police said on Thursday.
The victim`s younger sister has alleged that the victim took the extreme step after police refused to lodge a complaint and demanded a proof of the offence from her.
The victim was living in a rented house in the city with her 30-year-old sister.
Four days back, her brother - Lakhan Batham - approached the sisters and asked them to live with him at their parental house in the city which they refused, police said.
Lakhan then went to their residence in Ladhedi locality of the city and allegedly sexually assaulted his elder sister on Tuesday night.
Yesterday, the sisters approached police to report the offence.
However, the victim`s sister alleged that the police not only refused to lodge an FIR but also used foul language, besides demanding a proof of rape from the victim.
Subsequently, the woman hanged herself to the ceiling at her home yesterday.
Gwalior Superintendent of Police Santosh Singh today ordered an inqury into the incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata