Woman raped by sibling ends life after police apathy
Gwalior: A 32-year-woman, who was allegedly raped by her brother committed suicide here, police said on Thursday.
The victim`s younger sister has alleged that the victim took the extreme step after police refused to lodge a complaint and demanded a proof of the offence from her.
The victim was living in a rented house in the city with her 30-year-old sister.
Four days back, her brother - Lakhan Batham - approached the sisters and asked them to live with him at their parental house in the city which they refused, police said.
Lakhan then went to their residence in Ladhedi locality of the city and allegedly sexually assaulted his elder sister on Tuesday night.
Yesterday, the sisters approached police to report the offence.
However, the victim`s sister alleged that the police not only refused to lodge an FIR but also used foul language, besides demanding a proof of rape from the victim.
Subsequently, the woman hanged herself to the ceiling at her home yesterday.
Gwalior Superintendent of Police Santosh Singh today ordered an inqury into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert