Women who cross limits, will be punished like Sita: Vijayvargiya
New Delhi: At a time when the clamour for stringent laws for dealing crime against women has become louder, a senior BJP leader from Madhya Pradesh has stirred a fresh controversy by saying that those women who cross their limits, pay huge price.
Reports, Friday, claimed that Kailash Vijayvargiya, a BJP leader and Cabinet Minister in the MP government, said quoting Ramayana, “Ek hi shabd hai - Maryada. Maryada ka ulanghan hota hai, toh Sita-haran ho jata hai. Laxman-rekha har vyakti ki khichi gayi hai. Us Laxman-rekha ko koi bhi par karega, toh Rawan samne baitha hai, woh Sita-haran karke le jayega."
Vijayvargiya’s irresponsible statement suggesting that those women, who breach their moral limits, deserve punishment has come as a major embarrassment for the main opposition party.
The BJP leader said that if a woman crosses her limits she will be punished, just like Sita was abducted by Ravana.
However, this is not the first time when politicians have made such adverse remarks on women. In past, there have been several instances when even educated and influential persons have cast aspersions on the character of victims of sexual harassment.
Recently, West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee had termed the Park Street rape as a CPM conspiracy against her.
Not only this, one of her party colleagues Kakoli Ghosh also recently stated that the Park Street case was not a rape, but a "misunderstanding" between the woman "and her clients".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing