Women who cross limits, will be punished like Sita: Vijayvargiya
New Delhi: At a time when the clamour for stringent laws for dealing crime against women has become louder, a senior BJP leader from Madhya Pradesh has stirred a fresh controversy by saying that those women who cross their limits, pay huge price.
Reports, Friday, claimed that Kailash Vijayvargiya, a BJP leader and Cabinet Minister in the MP government, said quoting Ramayana, “Ek hi shabd hai - Maryada. Maryada ka ulanghan hota hai, toh Sita-haran ho jata hai. Laxman-rekha har vyakti ki khichi gayi hai. Us Laxman-rekha ko koi bhi par karega, toh Rawan samne baitha hai, woh Sita-haran karke le jayega."
Vijayvargiya’s irresponsible statement suggesting that those women, who breach their moral limits, deserve punishment has come as a major embarrassment for the main opposition party.
The BJP leader said that if a woman crosses her limits she will be punished, just like Sita was abducted by Ravana.
However, this is not the first time when politicians have made such adverse remarks on women. In past, there have been several instances when even educated and influential persons have cast aspersions on the character of victims of sexual harassment.
Recently, West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee had termed the Park Street rape as a CPM conspiracy against her.
Not only this, one of her party colleagues Kakoli Ghosh also recently stated that the Park Street case was not a rape, but a "misunderstanding" between the woman "and her clients".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands