Women who cross limits, will be punished like Sita: Vijayvargiya
New Delhi: At a time when the clamour for stringent laws for dealing crime against women has become louder, a senior BJP leader from Madhya Pradesh has stirred a fresh controversy by saying that those women who cross their limits, pay huge price.
Reports, Friday, claimed that Kailash Vijayvargiya, a BJP leader and Cabinet Minister in the MP government, said quoting Ramayana, “Ek hi shabd hai - Maryada. Maryada ka ulanghan hota hai, toh Sita-haran ho jata hai. Laxman-rekha har vyakti ki khichi gayi hai. Us Laxman-rekha ko koi bhi par karega, toh Rawan samne baitha hai, woh Sita-haran karke le jayega."
Vijayvargiya’s irresponsible statement suggesting that those women, who breach their moral limits, deserve punishment has come as a major embarrassment for the main opposition party.
The BJP leader said that if a woman crosses her limits she will be punished, just like Sita was abducted by Ravana.
However, this is not the first time when politicians have made such adverse remarks on women. In past, there have been several instances when even educated and influential persons have cast aspersions on the character of victims of sexual harassment.
Recently, West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee had termed the Park Street rape as a CPM conspiracy against her.
Not only this, one of her party colleagues Kakoli Ghosh also recently stated that the Park Street case was not a rape, but a "misunderstanding" between the woman "and her clients".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly