1 held for desecrating war memorial during violence
Mumbai: One of the two alleged rioters,
suspected to have damaged the Amar Jawan memorial during the
August 11 violence in Mumbai, has been detained, police said
"Abdul Quadir, who is suspected to have damaged Amar
Jawan memorial, is being interrogated. We strongly believe he
is one of the two rioters involved in desecrating the
memorial," a crime branch official said.
So far police have arrested 51 alleged rioters for the
Azad Maidan mayhem, in which two persons were killed and over
50 were injured, including 44 policemen, when a rally called
to protest the alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and
Myanmar turned violent.
Incidentally, a metropolitan court yesterday
discharged three of the accused arrested in connection with
the violence after the crime branch moved an application
saying that the investigation showed they were not the part of
The court discharged Anees Davare, Aslam Sheikh
and Abbas Ujjainwala after the crime branch moved an
application under Section 169 (release of accused when
evidence is deficient) of the Criminal Procedure Code.
On August 11, the protesters went on a rampage,
attacking police, including women constables, torching media
and police vans, smashing cameras of photo journalists and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'