10-yr-old rescues herself from kidnapper by jumping out of van in Mumbai
Mumbai: Showing a remarkable presence of mind and courage, a 10 years old girl on Friday thwarted a kidnapping attempt by jumping out of a moving van.
The police later nabbed a 38-year-old man, a driver by profession.
According to Dongri police in south Mumbai, the girl (name not disclosed) was awaiting her school van outside her house in Char-nal area this morning when Raju Mehboob Khan drove to the spot in an Omni, and asked her to get in.
As it was not her usual school van, the girl initially refused, but he told her that it was a substitute vehicle as the regular van had broken down.
The girl got in, but realised something was wrong when Khan took a wrong turn. "Getting suspicious, the girl jumped out," said a police officer.
As bystanders came to her help, a car driver gave chase to Khan until he hit the CST-Chembur Freeway, and then alerted the Police Control, giving them the van`s registration number.
Police found the van abandoned in Chembur. "In the van we found a visiting card and when we dialled the number, a lady, the owner, answered and confirmed that it was her van and it was with the her driver," said the officer.
A police team went to her house and asked her to summon Khan. He arrived and was arrested after the girl identified him.
Khan has been booked for kidnapping and molestation, as well as under the `Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences Act`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists