100 huts gutted in Mumbai slum blaze
Mumbai: Eight people sustained burn injuries and around 100 huts were reduced to ashes in a major fire that engulfed a slum near Bandra station in west Mumbai, officials said on Thursday.
The fire which started around 2 am quickly spread to adjoining slums in the congested Shastri Nagar slum colony, catching people unawares in their sleep, according to BMC Disaster Control room.
However, local youths immediately raised an alarm and helped evacuate the people and their belongings quickly to safe spots.
As the flames spread, several gas cylinders also caught fire and started bursting, and added to the damage and losses.
Ten fire tenders rushed to the spot and finally douzed the fire by 6 am. The cause of the fire is being investigated, the officials said.
Of the eight injured, five were discharged after treatment for minor burns.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!