1,020 Vidarbha youth join Army
Nagpur: Around 1,020 youth from Vidarbha have been recruited by Army over the last nine months, a senior official said on Thursday.
This year Army`s Branch Recruitment Office here conducted drive at Chandrapur and Amravati besides here between April 2010 to January this year and finally picked up 1020 youths for selection in Army, Colonel M S Bains of BRO said today.
Over 20,000 youth had participated in the recruitment drives held in the three cities, out of with 1,020 youth were recruited for various positions, he said.
Akola topped the list with 246 youth selected from the city followed by 187 from Amravati, 49 from the Naxal-infested Gadchiroli and 97 from Nagpur.
The recruits are being sent to AAD Corps Centre, Gopalpur, Signal Training Centre, Jabalpur, Artillery Centre, Hyderabad, Artillery Centre, Nashik, Army Medical Corps, Lucknow, Armoured Corps Centre, Ahmednagar, Maratha Light Infantry Centre, Belgaum and Mechanised Infantry Regimental Centre (MICR), Ahmednagar for training, Bains said.
To a question, he said youth qualify in academics but sometimes fail in physical fitness tests, adding similar recruitment drive will be held at Gadchiroli and Chandrapur in mid-September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best