12 MNS workers held for disrupting film shoot
Mumbai: Twelve workers of Maharashtra
Navnirman Sena (MNS) were on Tuesday arrested for disrupting a film
shooting here, alleging foreign artistes were working in the
Hindi movie without valid documents.
The activists of the Raj Thackeray-led party stalled the
shooting of under production movie `Angel` for over
one-and-a-half hour at Aksa beach and asked the 10 foreigners
to show their work permits, Assistant Commissioner of Police
(ACP) M M Sheikh said.
Twelve MNS workers were arrested and charged with
wrongful restraint and unlawful assembly, he said, adding more
arrests are likely.
Amey Khopkar, President of MNS Cine Workers Association,
alleged the police were working under pressure and apprehended
their men without proper reason.
"We had information that the foreigners who came here on
tourist visa did not have proper documents that allowed them
to work in films. Accordingly, our men went to the sets of
`Angel`. The foreigners were unable to show us work permit
following which we took them to police station," he said.
However, the film`s director Ganesh Acharya claimed that
the foreign artistes possessed all required documents.
"They (foreigners) have work permit. We tried to convince
the MNS workers but they did not listen to us. They asked me
to come to police station with the artistes. I sent my
executive producer with them," he said.
Acharya was shooting a song with 100 artistes, including
10 foreigners, when the MNS workers stormed the sets.
On March 15, eleven MNS activists were arrested on the
charge of extorting Rs 27 lakh from a film producer.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know