12 MNS workers held for disrupting film shoot
Mumbai: Twelve workers of Maharashtra
Navnirman Sena (MNS) were on Tuesday arrested for disrupting a film
shooting here, alleging foreign artistes were working in the
Hindi movie without valid documents.
The activists of the Raj Thackeray-led party stalled the
shooting of under production movie `Angel` for over
one-and-a-half hour at Aksa beach and asked the 10 foreigners
to show their work permits, Assistant Commissioner of Police
(ACP) M M Sheikh said.
Twelve MNS workers were arrested and charged with
wrongful restraint and unlawful assembly, he said, adding more
arrests are likely.
Amey Khopkar, President of MNS Cine Workers Association,
alleged the police were working under pressure and apprehended
their men without proper reason.
"We had information that the foreigners who came here on
tourist visa did not have proper documents that allowed them
to work in films. Accordingly, our men went to the sets of
`Angel`. The foreigners were unable to show us work permit
following which we took them to police station," he said.
However, the film`s director Ganesh Acharya claimed that
the foreign artistes possessed all required documents.
"They (foreigners) have work permit. We tried to convince
the MNS workers but they did not listen to us. They asked me
to come to police station with the artistes. I sent my
executive producer with them," he said.
Acharya was shooting a song with 100 artistes, including
10 foreigners, when the MNS workers stormed the sets.
On March 15, eleven MNS activists were arrested on the
charge of extorting Rs 27 lakh from a film producer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report