13/7 blasts: HC notice to Centre, Maharashtra govt
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday issued
notices to the Union and Maharashtra governments on a PIL
seeking 13/7 Mumbai serial blast probe be handed over to
either CBI or NIA.
Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and Mumbai Crime
Branch are jointly investigating the triple blasts, which had
left 27 dead and over 100 wounded. The explosions had rocked
crowded thoroughfares in Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House in
south and Dadar in central Mumbai.
The PIL filed by advocate V P Patil contended that since
the blasts were an act of terror against the nation, a central
agency like the CBI or National Investigation Agency should be
entrusted with the probe.
The division bench of Justices D D Sinha and V K
Tahilramani issued notices to the Union and state governments
and directed that the matter be clubbed with another PIL filed
post 26/11 terror attacks seeking streamlining of the security
and intelligence apparatus in the state.
Patil, in his petition, prayed for action against
Maharashtra Government for alleged failure of intelligence
machinery resulting in terror attacks. He also pleaded that a
committee be formed to improve police machinery in the state.
"Since this prayer is similar to those raised in the
26/11 PIL, the matter can be clubbed and heard together," the
The matter would come up for hearing in due course.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter