13/7 blasts: HC notice to Centre, Maharashtra govt
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday issued
notices to the Union and Maharashtra governments on a PIL
seeking 13/7 Mumbai serial blast probe be handed over to
either CBI or NIA.
Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and Mumbai Crime
Branch are jointly investigating the triple blasts, which had
left 27 dead and over 100 wounded. The explosions had rocked
crowded thoroughfares in Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House in
south and Dadar in central Mumbai.
The PIL filed by advocate V P Patil contended that since
the blasts were an act of terror against the nation, a central
agency like the CBI or National Investigation Agency should be
entrusted with the probe.
The division bench of Justices D D Sinha and V K
Tahilramani issued notices to the Union and state governments
and directed that the matter be clubbed with another PIL filed
post 26/11 terror attacks seeking streamlining of the security
and intelligence apparatus in the state.
Patil, in his petition, prayed for action against
Maharashtra Government for alleged failure of intelligence
machinery resulting in terror attacks. He also pleaded that a
committee be formed to improve police machinery in the state.
"Since this prayer is similar to those raised in the
26/11 PIL, the matter can be clubbed and heard together," the
The matter would come up for hearing in due course.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing