13/7 bomb planter identified as Waqas: Maha ATS
Mumbai: Investigations by the Anti-Terrorism Squad in the 13/7 blasts case have revealed that one of the
suspected bomb planters had enrolled himself as `Waqas` in two
gymnasiums, including one owned by the family of underworld
don-turned-politician Arun Gawli.
"It was Waqas who got admission in both Kumbharwada gym
and Byculla gym, which is owned by the Gawli family.
joining Byculla gym, he did not produce his photo but
mentioned his name as Waqas in the register and gave the
address of Habib building at Byculla, where he was staying on
rent," an ATS official said.
While announcing a breakthrough in the blast probe on
Monday after arresting Naqi Ahmed and Nadeem Akhtar from the
city, the ATS had withheld names of the two planters whom its
chief Rakesh Maria referred to as wanted accused `A` and `B`.
However, the two planters have been identified as Waqas
and Tabrez, sources said.
The statements of Gawli gym instructors, manager and
others have given them a fair idea about Waqas, sources said,
adding they have seized the gym register.
On Friday, Maria had said that one of the bomb planters
had enrolled on August 10 last year for three months in
Gulabpuran Gawli Medical and Fitness Centre, belonging to
Gawli family at Byculla.
"The bomb planter is the same person who had joined a
gym at Kumbharwada of south Mumbai as well," he had said.
Waqas, a fitness freak, used to visit Gawli`s gym
regularly, sources said.
A top operative of home-grown terror outfit Indian
Mujahideen, Yasin Bhatkal, and the two planters had rented a
third floor flat in Byculla`s Habib building where they
assembled explosives before triggering blasts at Dadar, Zaveri
Bazaar and Opera House on July 13 last year, which claimed 27
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach