13/7 bomb planter identified as Waqas: Maha ATS
Mumbai: Investigations by the Anti-Terrorism Squad in the 13/7 blasts case have revealed that one of the
suspected bomb planters had enrolled himself as `Waqas` in two
gymnasiums, including one owned by the family of underworld
don-turned-politician Arun Gawli.
"It was Waqas who got admission in both Kumbharwada gym
and Byculla gym, which is owned by the Gawli family.
joining Byculla gym, he did not produce his photo but
mentioned his name as Waqas in the register and gave the
address of Habib building at Byculla, where he was staying on
rent," an ATS official said.
While announcing a breakthrough in the blast probe on
Monday after arresting Naqi Ahmed and Nadeem Akhtar from the
city, the ATS had withheld names of the two planters whom its
chief Rakesh Maria referred to as wanted accused `A` and `B`.
However, the two planters have been identified as Waqas
and Tabrez, sources said.
The statements of Gawli gym instructors, manager and
others have given them a fair idea about Waqas, sources said,
adding they have seized the gym register.
On Friday, Maria had said that one of the bomb planters
had enrolled on August 10 last year for three months in
Gulabpuran Gawli Medical and Fitness Centre, belonging to
Gawli family at Byculla.
"The bomb planter is the same person who had joined a
gym at Kumbharwada of south Mumbai as well," he had said.
Waqas, a fitness freak, used to visit Gawli`s gym
regularly, sources said.
A top operative of home-grown terror outfit Indian
Mujahideen, Yasin Bhatkal, and the two planters had rented a
third floor flat in Byculla`s Habib building where they
assembled explosives before triggering blasts at Dadar, Zaveri
Bazaar and Opera House on July 13 last year, which claimed 27
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof