17 injured during `Dahi Handi` festival in Mumbai
Mumbai: At least 17 people were injured, including one seriously, while forming human pyramids during the `Dahi Handi` celebrations here on Monday, officials said.
Some of the injured were admitted to Sion and KEM hospitals.
"Twelve people were brought here who got injured due to a fall while playing `Dahi Handi`. We have admitted them and kept them under evaluation," KEM hospital`s Dean Dr Shubhangi Parkar said.
The other injured were rushed to Sion hospital where two of them have been admitted.
"There were a total of five persons who came to us for treatment. While we have discharged three of them after administering first aid, we have admitted two. One of them is very serious. He was brought with severe head injuries. Fortunately none had spine injuries," Sion hospital`s Dean Dr Avinash Supe said.
Following the recent relief from Supreme Court which kept on hold a Bombay High Court order that barred participation of children under 18 in `Dahi Handi`, people in Maharashtra today celebrated the festival with gaiety and pomp amid chants of "Govinda ala re".
The celebration of Dahi Handi, held on Janmasthami every year, includes formation of a human pyramid to break an earthen pot filled with buttermilk tied at a certain height and win cash prizes.
Hundreds of `Govindas` (participants of `Dahi Handi`) here, from different "mandals" (groups) were seen moving in trucks and tempos while travelling to their respective marquees to prove their mettle in breaking the earthen pots hung high in the bylanes.
The `Dahi Handi` event is inspired by Lord Krishna and his friends who used to form human pyramids to break pots hung from the ceilings of neighbourhood houses, in order to steal curd and butter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row