17,800 cases of crime against women reported in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Whopping 17,800 cases of crime against women and 3,456 cases of crime against children were reported in Maharashtra in the year 2012, the State Economic Survey report for 2013-14 today said.
The report, tabled in the state legislature, said that among cases of crime against women, 1,839 cases of rape; 1,140 cases of kidnapping; 329 dowry deaths; 7,415 cases of domestic violence; 3,935 cases of molestation, 1,294 cases of sexual harassment and 366 cases of illegal trafficking were reported.
It said 212 children were murdered in 2012 and 917 cases of rape against children were reported that year, while 893 children were kidnapped, besides 199 children were found abandoned.
There were 1,482 cases of crime other than rape, kidnapping and dowry deaths against women, while 1,023 cases of crime against children other than rape, murder and kidnapping were reported, the survey report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family