18 years on, man held guilty of niece`s rape; sent to jail
Akola (Maharashtra): A 47-year-old man has been sentenced to ten-year rigorous imprisonment by a local court for raping his minor niece 18 years ago.
Suresh Atote was pronounced guilty by Additional Sessions Judge D M Deshmukh, who awarded the jail term to the convict Friday.
The Judge did not accept Atote`s defence that he was with his friend Ramlakhan Shukla, who deposed in the court, when the crime took place in 1995.
Atote, who is maternal uncle of the victim, then nine- year-old, resided with her family in village Sangapur-Hirpur in Murtizapur taluka of this district in Vidarbha.
On October 12, 1995, Atote took the girl out of the house on the pretext of buying her a chocolate. He later took the girl in a nearby jungle and sexually abused her.
Atote left the village and started working as a security guard in Aurangabad under a different name.
In the meantime, based on the girl`s statement one Gajanan Pawar was arrested by the police in connection with the incident. He was let off by the court after it emerged that it was the minor`s maternal uncle who had committed the crime.
Atote was arrested from Aurangabad three years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara