19 killed, 132 hurt as passenger train derails on Konkan route in Maharashtra
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Raigad: Nineteen people were killed and 132 others injured when the engine and four bogies of a passenger train derailed on Konkan Railway route in Maharashtra`s Raigad district on Sunday.
The accident occurred just outside a tunnel near Nidi village when the engine and four out of the 20 bogies of Diwa-Sawantwadi passenger train derailed at around 10 am between Nagothane and Roha railway stations, about 120 kms from Mumbai.
According to Raigad police control room, 19 passengers were killed and around 132 others injured in the mishap, which took place in a remote area.
The death toll rose as more bodies and injured persons were found trapped when the overturned bogies were being removed, a police official said.
Bodies were sent to Nagothane primary health centre for post-mortem, while six were taken to government hospital at Roha, the police control room said.
According to police, the 19 deceased were identified as Shraddha S Ukte (6), Shrutika S Ukte (30), Krishna Tukaram Shinde (70), Bharat B Surve (49), Surekha Jairam Nakti (35), Vikrat B Surve (22), Ganesh Ramchandra Chavan (32), Ganesh Narayan Chavan (32), Atul A Kharile (25), Hemant Pandye, Ajaykumar Madheriya (20), Prabhunath Rajghar (37), Rityam D Kaljavkar (42), Mithin Joshi (24), Rupesh Dagdu Narve (28), Kalpesh Chandrakant Chavan (60), Subhash Jadhav (42), Vasanti Kashinath Bhuvad (62) and Pintu Gosavi (30).
An inquiry into the derailment have been ordered and an ex-gratia of Rs two lakh for those killed in the accident have been announced by the railways. Railway Board Chairman Arunendra Kumar said Commissioner, Railway Safety, Chetan Bakshi will conduct the inquiry.
Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge announced an ex-gratia of Rs two lakh for those killed, Rs 50 thousand for the grievously hurt and Rs 10,000 for passengers who suffered minor injuries.
Sources near the site of accident said that the locals are assisting in the rescue operation.
The Railways also started two helpline -- Thane -- 022-25334840 and Panwel -- 022-27468. The helpline numbers on which passengers can contact Konkan Railway are 02352-228176/ 228951/228954 and 022-27561721/3/4.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what