19 killed, 132 hurt as passenger train derails on Konkan route in Maharashtra
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Raigad: Nineteen people were killed and 132 others injured when the engine and four bogies of a passenger train derailed on Konkan Railway route in Maharashtra`s Raigad district on Sunday.
The accident occurred just outside a tunnel near Nidi village when the engine and four out of the 20 bogies of Diwa-Sawantwadi passenger train derailed at around 10 am between Nagothane and Roha railway stations, about 120 kms from Mumbai.
According to Raigad police control room, 19 passengers were killed and around 132 others injured in the mishap, which took place in a remote area.
The death toll rose as more bodies and injured persons were found trapped when the overturned bogies were being removed, a police official said.
Bodies were sent to Nagothane primary health centre for post-mortem, while six were taken to government hospital at Roha, the police control room said.
According to police, the 19 deceased were identified as Shraddha S Ukte (6), Shrutika S Ukte (30), Krishna Tukaram Shinde (70), Bharat B Surve (49), Surekha Jairam Nakti (35), Vikrat B Surve (22), Ganesh Ramchandra Chavan (32), Ganesh Narayan Chavan (32), Atul A Kharile (25), Hemant Pandye, Ajaykumar Madheriya (20), Prabhunath Rajghar (37), Rityam D Kaljavkar (42), Mithin Joshi (24), Rupesh Dagdu Narve (28), Kalpesh Chandrakant Chavan (60), Subhash Jadhav (42), Vasanti Kashinath Bhuvad (62) and Pintu Gosavi (30).
An inquiry into the derailment have been ordered and an ex-gratia of Rs two lakh for those killed in the accident have been announced by the railways. Railway Board Chairman Arunendra Kumar said Commissioner, Railway Safety, Chetan Bakshi will conduct the inquiry.
Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge announced an ex-gratia of Rs two lakh for those killed, Rs 50 thousand for the grievously hurt and Rs 10,000 for passengers who suffered minor injuries.
Sources near the site of accident said that the locals are assisting in the rescue operation.
The Railways also started two helpline -- Thane -- 022-25334840 and Panwel -- 022-27468. The helpline numbers on which passengers can contact Konkan Railway are 02352-228176/ 228951/228954 and 022-27561721/3/4.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni