1993 Mumbai blast convict shifted to Nashik jail: Cops tell HC
Mumbai: Maharashtra Police on Friday informed the Bombay High Court that a 70-year-old 1993 bomb blasts convict had been shifted from Kolhapur Central prison to Nashik Jail on medical ground.
Taking this statement on record, a bench headed by Justice SC Dharmadhikari disposed of a petition filed by the prisoner, Mohammed Kasam Lajpuria alias Mechanic Chacha, seeking transfer from Kolhapur jail to any prison in Mumbai, Thane or Nashik.
When the petition came up for hearing, police informed the court through the public prosecutor that the prisoner had already been shifted and nothing survives in the petition.
Accordingly, the bench disposed of the matter.
The counsel for the petitioner, Farhana Shah, pleaded that the convict was totally confined to a wheel-chair/bed as he suffered from physical disability and various ailments, such as lumbar canal stenosis and cervical spondalitis. He had also got a paralytic stroke earlier and was completely dependent on others for his daily routine jobs, she told the court.
However, the authorities had turned down his plea on August 10 through a letter, which his lawyer produced before the court.
Lajpuria was sentenced to 10 years of rigorous imprisonment under TADA (P) Act after he was found guilty of participating in the landing of arms and ammunition at Dighi coast in nearby Raigad district, prior to the 1993 serial bomb blasts in which 257 persons were killed and more than 700 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read