2006 Malegaon blasts accused move court for bail
Mumbai: Nine persons arrested for the bomb blasts in Maharashtra`s Malegaon town in 2006 on Saturday moved a special court here seeking bail.
In the bail application filed before the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) Court, the accused said the case is now being handled by National Investigation Agency (NIA), which has concluded brain mapping and polygraph tests on them, but did not find anything incriminating.
"There is a change in circumstance as the NIA has taken over the case and the agency has not found anything incriminating in the scientific tests. The defence lawyers were also present during the tests," said defence lawyer Khalid Azmi.
The bail application would be heard on October 31. In August, the accused had given consent for the tests after the NIA filed an application in the court, saying it wants to conduct scientific tests on the accused as part of the probe.
The tests were concluded last week. Maharashtra ATS, which had probed the case initially had arrested nine persons - Salman Farsi, Shabir Ahmed, Noorulhuda Doha, Rais Ahmed, Mohammed Ali, Asif Khan, Javed Sheikh, Farooque Ansari and Abrar Ahmed - for their alleged involvement in the multiple blasts in the minority-dominated powerloom town in Nashik district.
The explosions near a mosque on September 08, 2006 had killed 36 people and injured over 100.
In December 2006, the case was handed over to the CBI. Later the NIA, a special anti-terror probe agency created in 2009, took over the probe.
The accused`s previous bail application had been rejected in March by the court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed