2008 Malegaon blast accused gets bail
Mumbai: The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court on Wednesday granted bail to one of the accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.
"NIA had to file the chargesheet by Tuesday as the (stipulated) time was expiring, but they did not seek any further extension for filing chargesheet, so today we filed for bail," said JP Mishra, Dhan Singh`s lawyer.
Singh was granted bail against a bond of Rs 25,000.
Singh has been booked in both 2006 and 2008 Malegaon blast cases; he would not come out of jail for now as he was chargesheeted in the 2006 Malegaon blast case today.
In the 2008 case, NIA contends that Dhan Singh was instrumental in transporting key accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh`s motorbike (which was used in the blast), apart from abetting "terrorist acts in various places in India".
Thirteen persons including Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Lt Col Prasad Purohit were arrested for carrying out a blast at Malegaon on September 29, 2008, killing six and injuring 100.
The trial is yet to start as some of the accused have challenged the invocation of MCOCA before the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you