2011 bomb blasts case: Court extends Yasin, Akhtar`s remand
Mumbai: A special MCOCA court on Tuesday extended till February 28 the remand of Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar in connection with the July 2011 serial bomb blasts case.
Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told the court they have got some crucial information about IM from the arrested accused and also wanted to know about other wanted members from the duo, now in in ATS custody.
"The case is very vast and every aspect is required to be investigated," read the remand application.
Accepting Nikam`s contention, special judge A L Pansare extended the custody of Bhatkal and Akhtar.
Three powerful blasts which ripped through crowded areas in Mumbai on July 13, 2011, killing at least 21 people and injuring 141.
Earlier, five accused - Naquee Ahmed, Nadeem Shaikh, Kanwar Pathrija, Haroon Naik and Mohammed Qafeel Ansari were held in the case and are facing trial under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), Indian Penal Code and other laws.
Police are looking for top IM operative Riyaz Bhatkal, besides Waqas Ibrahim Sad, Dubai-based Muzaffar Kolah and Tehseen Akhtar Shaikh.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had arrested Yasin Bhatkal (30) who is wanted in over 40 terror cases and carries a reward of Rs 35 lakh, as well as Akhtar, from the Indo-Nepal border on the night of August 28 last year.
Bhatkal, who hails from Bhatkal village of Udupi district in North Karnataka, is wanted in a string of terror attacks in Ahmedabad, Surat, Bangalore, Pune, Delhi and Hyderabad, the agency had said.
Bhatkal, who was earlier associated with banned SIMI, is suspected to have allegedly conspired along with others to "wage war against India".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'