209 Vidarbha farmers committed suicide in 2011
New Delhi: As many as 209 farmers committed
suicide in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra in 2011 due to
agrarian reasons, Parliament was informed on Monday.
A total of 275 farmers had ended their lives in Vidarbha
region in 2010, as per the figures included in the
rehabilitation package, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said
in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
Pawar said 565 farmers committed suicide in the Vidarbha
region in 2006, while in 2007, 350 farmers ended their lives.
The number of farmer suicides was 340 in 2008 and 273 in
Vidarbha region is known for cultivation of cotton and
Replying to another question, Minister of State for
Agriculture Charan Das Mahant said the states have reported
reasons for suicide included indebtness, crop failure,
drought, socio-economic and personal.
Pawar said that the government was taking several steps
to address the problem and provided relief to farmers.
These included implementation of rehabilitation package
covering 31 districts in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and
Maharashtra under which an amount of Rs 19,910.70 crore has
been released till June 30, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- China to send lunar probe 'Chang'e 5' on moon!
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared on May 30. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- Barack Obama arrives at Hiroshima atomic bomb park
- Boat sinks in Ganga, eight feared drowned in Katihar
- India, China should properly address differences; Pranab a 'seasoned statesman': Xi