21 security guards held for illegally using firear
Mumbai: Mumbai Police Thursday arrested 21 security guards for allegedly using firearms illegally in the city.
"All the accused were using their firearms illegally. Though the licence that they were carrying showed that the guns were supposed to be used for personal security, they were using it for professional purposes," a senior police official said.
Twelve rifles and dozens of cartridges were seized from them, police said.
The arrested 21 persons worked for various security agencies and all of them hail from Jammu and Kashmir, the property cell of Mumbai crime branch said.
The guards allegedly did not secure a no objection certificate from the Mumbai Police to carry weapons in Mumbai jurisdiction.
Mumbai Police sources said the drive to crack down on security guards carrying illegal fire arms was launched after Sajjad Mughal (22), a native of Jammu and Kashmir, who was employed as a security guard at `Himalayan Heights` in suburban Wadala, allegedly killed young woman lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha on August 9 last year for resisting his advances.
According to police, Mughal used to ogle at the 25-year-old victim, the daughter of IAS officer Atanu Purkayastha, the joint secretary in the Agriculture ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Plane catches fire while making emergency landing in Singapore
- Dear Deepika Padukone, your IIFA attires were KILLER! View in pics
- Clerics issue fatwa, make transgender marriage lawful in Pakistan
- Oil prices fall as Brexit lingers, refined products glut looms
- This Shiva temple in Pune built by Peshwa Nanasaheb is unique – Details inside