2,233 candidates in fray in BMC polls
Mumbai: As many as 2,233 candidates are in
the fray for the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)
elections scheduled on February 16, according to state
M East ward (138) in Deonar in the eastern suburbs has
the highest number of 33 candidates.
Elections to the country`s premier civic body which
has 227 wards, will be a litmus test for Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan and Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav
Chavan feels that the civic results here will make an
impact on national politics.
"We have to defeat the Shiv Sena which is ruling the
civic body for 17 years. This will send a good message outside
the state as Sena is an important member of the BJP-led NDA,"
Whereas Uddhav has lashed out at the alliance alleging
that the two parties have come together only to make money in
the cash rich BMC.
"They have stooped to such low level. They are
criticising each other while campaigning in the Zilla Parishad
polls and in Mumbai they are together," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read