2,233 candidates in fray in BMC polls
Mumbai: As many as 2,233 candidates are in
the fray for the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)
elections scheduled on February 16, according to state
M East ward (138) in Deonar in the eastern suburbs has
the highest number of 33 candidates.
Elections to the country`s premier civic body which
has 227 wards, will be a litmus test for Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan and Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav
Chavan feels that the civic results here will make an
impact on national politics.
"We have to defeat the Shiv Sena which is ruling the
civic body for 17 years. This will send a good message outside
the state as Sena is an important member of the BJP-led NDA,"
Whereas Uddhav has lashed out at the alliance alleging
that the two parties have come together only to make money in
the cash rich BMC.
"They have stooped to such low level. They are
criticising each other while campaigning in the Zilla Parishad
polls and in Mumbai they are together," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij