26/11 investigating officer seeks VRS citing personal reasons
Mumbai: The investigating officer in the 26/11 terror attack case, who had helped build a water-tight case against Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, has sought voluntary retirement on the ground that he is "tired and decided to take rest", police said on Tuesday.
Senior Inspector Ramesh Mahale (56), who is heading the Crime branch`s unit I of Mumbai Police, put in his papers last week after 35 years of meritorious service.
Mahale refused to meet media persons when they went to his office to know the reason for leaving the police force abruptly.
"Mahale is one of the best officers that Mumbai police had. He sought voluntary retirement last week and he (Mahale) said he was tired and want to take some rest," a senior police officer said.
"It seems to be his personal decision. He must have thought twice and consulted his family members before taking this decision. And I do not think he has done this in haste," the officer observed.
However, there was also speculation in police circles that his "differences" with seniors were among the various reasons, the officer added.
When asked about Mahale`s VRS, his superior and Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Himanshu Roy said, "I do not know about it as I did not receive any document related to his VRS."
As per procedure, any police inspector seeking VRS needs to submit the application before his immediate superior and in this case it is the Assistant Police Commissioner.
Through proper channel, the application reaches the Director General of Police, who is the competent authority to accept the VRS.
From the date of VRS application, the officer needs to serve the force for three months. If the DGP does not respond to the application, then it is deemed to have accepted it.
Another police officer opined that the department may not accept his VRS and instead he may be shifted to another post, where there is not much flow of work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical