29 villages excluded from Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Thursday
announced exclusion of 29 of the total 35 villages from the
Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation in adjoining Thane district.
Two new villages will be added to the civic body,
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan told the Legislative
He said the excluded villages were far off from the
city limits and were important from agriculture and
environment points of view.
The announcement came after Independent MLA Vivek
Pandit led a four-day march from Vasai to Vidhan Bhavan in
south Mumbai, demanding that the government honour the
resolution of the gram sabhas, who had demanded exclusion of
villages from the corporation limits.
Kshitij Thakur and Vilas Tare, legislators of Bahujan
Vikas Agadhi from Vasai, criticised the Government`s decision,
saying it had acted under pressure from Pandit and the
"Vasai, with over 14 lakh population, is the fastest-
growing taluka in the country. It is centrally located between
Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane. Urbanisation is spreading
rapidly and only a municipal corporation can provide basic
needs of the local people," they said.
They appealed to the government to reconsider the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon