‘2nd marriage no basis to stop maintenance to 1st
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has ruled that the second marriage of a Muslim man cannot be the reason for either stopping payment of maintenance to the first wife or reducing it.
"In fact as per the enjoinment in Islamic Law, a person would be entitled to marry for the second time if he was capable of maintaining both the wives equally fairly," observed Justice Roshan Dalvi while hearing a plea of a woman who sought a raise in maintenance payable by her husband.
"If the husband is in a position to earn, the fact that the husband has remarried and has a second wife, cannot bring down the quantum of maintenance for the first wife whom the husband has failed and neglected to maintain", the judge ruled in a recent order.
The Court was hearing an appeal filed by a woman against a family court order asking her husband, a software engineer, to pay Rs 7900 monthly maintainance to her as their marriage had not been dissolved by the pronouncement of Talaq (divorce). The husband had failed to give proof of the divorce he claimed had happened.
"It is for the husband to determine whether he is in a fit and proper financial position to have and maintain two wives....If he has two wives he is bound and liable to maintain both", Justice Dalvi said.
The family court had arrived at the figure of Rs 7900 on the basis of one-fourth salary drawn by the husband. However, the High Court felt that the lower court had wrongly computed the amount of maintenance, saying that one-fourth was not a fair proportion of the amount to be taken into account.
"Both the husband and the wife are equal in law. They have equal rights and equal obligations. They enter into a marriage contract on the ground of total nondiscrimination", observed the court while more than doubling the maintenance to Rs 18,000 per month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!