34 district consumer forums in Maha lying defunct
Mumbai: Thirty-four district consumer forums out of the 42 across Maharashtra are lying defunct as the term of the presidents or members have expired and their posts are lying vacant.
Officials in the State Consumer Commission said though the process of appointment (of new president and members) has started, it will take at least two more months to complete it.
As a stop gap arrangement, the commission had given charge of duties of the vacant forums to nearby forums.
The in-charge list was issued only after a consumer, Gorahanath Shinde, through his advocate Madhukar Jadhav, approached the commission stating that his complaint was not accepted by the DCF of Thane, as the post of president was vacant.
According to Jadhav, when he went to file a complaint last month and sought some urgent relief the registrar turned down the prayer.
"The registrar told us that he cannot receive the complaint," said Jadhav, who later approached the commission.
The forums where posts are lying vacant include district forums of Thane, Central Mumbai and suburban Bandra, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators