34 district consumer forums in Maha lying defunct
Mumbai: Thirty-four district consumer forums out of the 42 across Maharashtra are lying defunct as the term of the presidents or members have expired and their posts are lying vacant.
Officials in the State Consumer Commission said though the process of appointment (of new president and members) has started, it will take at least two more months to complete it.
As a stop gap arrangement, the commission had given charge of duties of the vacant forums to nearby forums.
The in-charge list was issued only after a consumer, Gorahanath Shinde, through his advocate Madhukar Jadhav, approached the commission stating that his complaint was not accepted by the DCF of Thane, as the post of president was vacant.
According to Jadhav, when he went to file a complaint last month and sought some urgent relief the registrar turned down the prayer.
"The registrar told us that he cannot receive the complaint," said Jadhav, who later approached the commission.
The forums where posts are lying vacant include district forums of Thane, Central Mumbai and suburban Bandra, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!