34 district consumer forums in Maha lying defunct
Mumbai: Thirty-four district consumer forums out of the 42 across Maharashtra are lying defunct as the term of the presidents or members have expired and their posts are lying vacant.
Officials in the State Consumer Commission said though the process of appointment (of new president and members) has started, it will take at least two more months to complete it.
As a stop gap arrangement, the commission had given charge of duties of the vacant forums to nearby forums.
The in-charge list was issued only after a consumer, Gorahanath Shinde, through his advocate Madhukar Jadhav, approached the commission stating that his complaint was not accepted by the DCF of Thane, as the post of president was vacant.
According to Jadhav, when he went to file a complaint last month and sought some urgent relief the registrar turned down the prayer.
"The registrar told us that he cannot receive the complaint," said Jadhav, who later approached the commission.
The forums where posts are lying vacant include district forums of Thane, Central Mumbai and suburban Bandra, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog