34 district consumer forums in Maha lying defunct
Mumbai: Thirty-four district consumer forums out of the 42 across Maharashtra are lying defunct as the term of the presidents or members have expired and their posts are lying vacant.
Officials in the State Consumer Commission said though the process of appointment (of new president and members) has started, it will take at least two more months to complete it.
As a stop gap arrangement, the commission had given charge of duties of the vacant forums to nearby forums.
The in-charge list was issued only after a consumer, Gorahanath Shinde, through his advocate Madhukar Jadhav, approached the commission stating that his complaint was not accepted by the DCF of Thane, as the post of president was vacant.
According to Jadhav, when he went to file a complaint last month and sought some urgent relief the registrar turned down the prayer.
"The registrar told us that he cannot receive the complaint," said Jadhav, who later approached the commission.
The forums where posts are lying vacant include district forums of Thane, Central Mumbai and suburban Bandra, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees