4 acquitted in kidnapping case after spending decade in jail
Mumbai: Over a decade after they were awarded life sentences by the trial Court for kidnapping a nine-year-old boy, the Bombay High Court has acquitted four persons for lack of evidence.
"There is no evidence to show that they had demanded ransom from the victim`s mother, or conspired to kidnap.... guilt of none of the accused was proved beyond reasonable doubt," Justice Abhay Oka and Justice Shrihari Davare said in a recent judgement.
Abdul Khan, Rahul Surwade, Nabi Shah and Raganath Chavan were lodged in Nasik Central jail since 2001.
The defence lawyer had argued that while the boy, Dinesh Patil, was only nine years old, the body found by police was of a boy of 14 to 15 years of age.
"Looking at the discrepancy in age and height, it will not be possible to accept the case of the prosecution that body recovered by Turbhe police was that of the deceased boy," the court held.
Dinesh was kidnapped on November 27, 2001 on his way back home from school, and ransom of Rs one lakh was demanded. According to Turbhe police, the four accused kidnapped Dinesh, killed him and threw the body into a stormwater drain between Sanpada and Jui Nagar in Navi Mumbai.
The trial court acquitted them of murder and robbery charges, but found guilty of kidnapping.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez