Thane: Four siblings, including a seven-
month-old baby, were charred to death in a fire at their hutment in a slum in Bhiwandi here, police said on Sunday.
The victims have been identified as Priya (12), Niteen (10), Preeti (7) and seven-month-old baby Nitesh, police said.
The mother, Sonkali Mohanlal Gupta, and one of her
daughter, 9-year-old Riya, sustained severe burn injuries in the last night`s blaze.
According to inspector Dileep Suryawanshi at Shanti Nagar police station, the Guptas lived in a hutment at a slum in Sahayog Nagar here.
"Last night, the small hut, in which, they live, caught fire, possibly due to short circuit, when all of them were asleep. Soon after, fire spread...two children died on the
spot," he said.
After hearing the screams of the family members, their neighbours rushed to the spot and took the injured to a local hospital. On the way to the hospital, two other succumbed to their injuries, Suryawanshi added.
The mother and daughter duo, who are in a critical condition, are being treated at Thane civil hospital. At the time of the incident, their father was not at home. Further investigations are on, police said.