4 killed, 40 trapped in firecracker factory blast
Solapur: At least four women were burnt alive while another 40 were trapped as a fire broke out in a fire cracker factory in a village in this Maharashtra district on Monday, police said.
According to police official NN Dede of Mangalwedha sub-district police station, the blaze engulfed the premises of Sagar Fireworks in Bhalwani village around 5 pm.
Fire brigade and police rushed to the factory even as local villagers pitched in to fight the blaze which was spreading to nearby sheds, Dede said.
"We have reports of at least four women having succumbed in the fire and villagers said another 40 workers are still trapped inside the factory. We are trying to search and rescue them," Dede told IANS.
The officials managed to rescue eight workers who sustained severe burn injuries and have been rushed to nearby hospitals. The cause of the fire is not clear yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price