Mumbai: The trial in the July 2006 serial train blasts that left 187 people dead and over 800 injured in the megapolis is expected to conclude soon, senior officials overseeing the case said.
The trial against 13 persons allegedly members of the banned SIMI and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commenced in May last year after the Supreme Court rejected a petition filed by one of the accused, Kamal Ansari, challenging the constitutional validity of a section pertaining to insurgency under the Maharashtra Control of Organized Crime Act (MCOCA) invoked against the accused.
"111 witnesses have been examined in the case so far out of which three have turned hostile. There are about 15 witnesses remaining. The prosecution has submitted the affidavits of over 200 witnesses. At the present speed, the trial should conclude within four months," a senior official said.
On July 11, 2006 -- RDX laden bombs ripped the first class compartments of seven local trains in the Western Railways during peak evening hours. The blasts took place within the span of 11 minutes between 6.24 PM to 6.35 PM.
The Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) probing the case had arrested 13 alleged members of SIMI and LeT for carrying out the blasts. The agency had charged them under various sections of Indian Penal Code, MCOCA and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
The trial was stayed by the Supreme Court in February 2008 after Ansari moved the court. However, the apex court had directed for the trial to continue after rejecting his plea.
The 13 accused are Faisal Shaikh, Ali Bashir Khan, Mohammad Ali, Majid Shafi, Sajid Ansari, Kamal Ansari, Ethesham Siddiqui, Zameer Shaikh, Sohail Shaikh, Muzammil Shaikh, Tanvir Ansari, Naveed Hussai and Abdul Shaikh.