5th arrest in Pune blast case, IM planned fidayeen
New Delhi: Indian Mujahideen terrorists were planning to carry out a `fidayeen` attack at Bihar`s Bodh Gaya to avenge "atrocities" against Muslims in Myanmar, Delhi Police today claimed after arresting a fifth man in connection with Pune serial blasts this August.
Sayed Maqbool, a resident of Maharashtra`s Nanded whom police claimed is the district president of All India Majlis Itehad-ul Muslimeen which has an MP in Lok Sabha, was apprehended from Hyderabad on October 23, SN Srivastava, Special Commissioner of Police (Special Cell), said.
Maqbool, a fruitseller who allegedly taught suspected IM terrorists on how to make IEDs, is the fifth person to be arrested in connection with the August Pune blasts 1 to avenge the killing of operative Qateel Siddique in Yerwada Jail.
"Maqbool was in close association with the four others -- Asad Khan, IUmran Khan, Sayed Feroz and Langde Irfan Mustafa -- who were arrested and together they planned to commit fidayeen attacks on Buddhist shrines in Bodh Gaya," Srivastava claimed.
The suspected terrorists had got the approval of IM`s Riyaz Bhatkal, a fugitive believed to be in Pakistan, for carrying out the attack as a "retaliation to the alleged atrocities on Muslims in Myanmar", he claimed.
Maqbool first came in contact with Imran and later was introduced to the other members of the group. He allegedly taught them how to make IEDs using urea, diesel and fire cracker power at Asad`s farm house in Aurangabad, he said.
"In April this year, Imran introduced him to Bhatkal brothers. The gang had earlier discussed plans to carry out a fidayeen attack in Bodh Gaya. Since Bhatkals wanted to avenge the death of Siddiqui, they deicded to carry out the blast in Pune first," Srivastava said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured