60-yr-old gets 10 years in jail for raping granddaughter
Mumbai: A 60-year-old man was on Monday sentenced to ten years` imprisonment for raping his step-granddaughter by the sessions court.
According to prosecution, Hari Gani Ingle, the accused, a native of Buldhana in central Maharashtara, stayed with his son in suburban Mankhurd whenever he visited the city.
The victim`s mother was married to Ingle`s son. Her first husband had divorced her when the victim was six-months-old.
Sometime in the last week of December 2011, Ingle came home drunk, and raped the girl, who was alone. He also warned her not to disclose it to her parents.
When he raped the girl again a few days later, the girl ran to her aunt`s place, but still did not tell her parents.
Still later, when a fight broke out between her parents and Ingle over a trivial issue, the girl told her mother about the rape. Medical examination confirmed the sexual assault.
Public Prosecutor Nilima Kasture examined several witnesses including the doctor who conducted the medical examination, but what bolstered the case was the girl`s own testemony.
The victim`s mother, who had lodged the police complaint, however, turned hostile during the trial. Additional Sessions Judge PV Ganediwala accepted the prosecution`s argument, and convicted Ingle.
Fine of Rs 10,000 was also imposed on Ingle, which would be given to the victim as compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre