60-yr-old gets 10 years in jail for raping granddaughter
Mumbai: A 60-year-old man was on Monday sentenced to ten years` imprisonment for raping his step-granddaughter by the sessions court.
According to prosecution, Hari Gani Ingle, the accused, a native of Buldhana in central Maharashtara, stayed with his son in suburban Mankhurd whenever he visited the city.
The victim`s mother was married to Ingle`s son. Her first husband had divorced her when the victim was six-months-old.
Sometime in the last week of December 2011, Ingle came home drunk, and raped the girl, who was alone. He also warned her not to disclose it to her parents.
When he raped the girl again a few days later, the girl ran to her aunt`s place, but still did not tell her parents.
Still later, when a fight broke out between her parents and Ingle over a trivial issue, the girl told her mother about the rape. Medical examination confirmed the sexual assault.
Public Prosecutor Nilima Kasture examined several witnesses including the doctor who conducted the medical examination, but what bolstered the case was the girl`s own testemony.
The victim`s mother, who had lodged the police complaint, however, turned hostile during the trial. Additional Sessions Judge PV Ganediwala accepted the prosecution`s argument, and convicted Ingle.
Fine of Rs 10,000 was also imposed on Ingle, which would be given to the victim as compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door