7/11 blasts: Service providers put Rs 34 lakh price tag on CDRs
Mumbai: The accused facing trial in the 2006 suburban train blasts will have to cough up Rs 34 lakh to four telecom companies if they want to obtain call data records from mobile service providers.
Vodafone, Loop, Airtel and Tata have filed separate applications before the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA) court seeking direction to the accused to pay Rs 34 lakh collectively if they want access to these records.
The 13 accused had sought the production of the CDRs before the special MCOCA court as the Maharashtra ATS had not annexed them in the chargesheet. However, the special court rejected their prayer, following which they moved Bombay High Court.
The accused had contented that they were not present at the blast sites.
The high court in December last had directed the special court to examine whether the CDRs can be recovered and to reconsider the prayer of the accused.
In their applications, the four companies have said that the process could take three months as it includes identification of old tapes, extraction and retrieval of data.
The collective cost for the process is round Rs 34.10 lakh, according to the petitioners.
Defence lawyers will file their reply tomorrow.
188 people had been killed and 817 others injured when seven RDX bombs kept in the first class coaches of suburban trains exploded on July 11, 2006.
The explosions occurred between Khar road -Santacruz, Bandra Khar road, Jogeshwari-Mahim Junction, Mira road - Bhayander, Matunga - Mahim Junction and Borivili.
Maharashtra ATS had arrested Kamal Ahamed Ansari (37), Dr Tanvir Ahmed Ansari (37), Mohd Faisal Shaikh (36), Ehtesham Siddiqui (30), Mohammad Majid Shafi (32), Shaikh alam Shaikh (41), Mohd Sajid Ansari (34), Abdul Wahid Shaikh (34), Muzzammil Shaikh (27), Soheil Mehmood Shaikh (43), Zamir Ahmad Shaikh (36), Naveed Hussain Khan (30) and Asif Khan (38), while Azam Chima, along with 14 others, are absconding.
The examination of witnesses resumed after the span of two years as the Supreme Court had stayed the trial in 2008 before vacating it on April 23, 2010.
Before the stay the prosecution had already examined a police officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand