739 booked for driving under influence of alcohol
Mumbai: Clamping down on rash and drunk
driving on the eve of the new year, as many as 739 offenders
driving/riding under the influence of alcohol were booked on Saturday night during a special drive, police said on Sunday.
"A total of 739 people, who were driving their vehicles
after consuming alcohol, were booked during the special drive
that began at 10 PM on December 31 and continued till 6 AM on
January 1. Among them, 511 were riding motorcycles," a senior
police official (traffic) said.
Cops at various police stations as well as traffic police
were stationed on different streets throughout the night
wielding breathalysers, police said.
A total of 179 cases were registered against car drivers,
18 against tempo, 14 against three wheelers, five each against
taxi and truck drivers, four against trailers, two against
private bus and one against an Ambulance driver, police said.
"A deposit of Rs 2000 was taken from each offender before
they were allowed to go. They have been asked to be present
before the magistrate courts tomorrow that will decide their
punishment which may either be a jail term or fine or
suspension of their licenses or combination of all three," the
Last year, on the eve of the New Year, 867 cases were
registered, 128 more than this year, police said.
Since June, 2007 when the city police began its drive
against drunk driving, as many as 74,885 cases were registered
of which 41,940 were sent for jail term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH