739 booked for driving under influence of alcohol
Mumbai: Clamping down on rash and drunk
driving on the eve of the new year, as many as 739 offenders
driving/riding under the influence of alcohol were booked on Saturday night during a special drive, police said on Sunday.
"A total of 739 people, who were driving their vehicles
after consuming alcohol, were booked during the special drive
that began at 10 PM on December 31 and continued till 6 AM on
January 1. Among them, 511 were riding motorcycles," a senior
police official (traffic) said.
Cops at various police stations as well as traffic police
were stationed on different streets throughout the night
wielding breathalysers, police said.
A total of 179 cases were registered against car drivers,
18 against tempo, 14 against three wheelers, five each against
taxi and truck drivers, four against trailers, two against
private bus and one against an Ambulance driver, police said.
"A deposit of Rs 2000 was taken from each offender before
they were allowed to go. They have been asked to be present
before the magistrate courts tomorrow that will decide their
punishment which may either be a jail term or fine or
suspension of their licenses or combination of all three," the
Last year, on the eve of the New Year, 867 cases were
registered, 128 more than this year, police said.
Since June, 2007 when the city police began its drive
against drunk driving, as many as 74,885 cases were registered
of which 41,940 were sent for jail term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan