7.5 lakh autos in Maha to be off roads from Apr 16
Mumbai: The Sharad Rao-led autorickshaw
union today announced that 7.5 lakh autos will launch an
indefinite state-wide agitation from April 16 for their
demands, which include hike in the minimum fare.
"We want a new formula from the government. The CNG
rates have gone up. It has become a losing proposition to
drive an auto in face of rising inflation," Rao told PTI,
announcing the agitation.
Rao`s announcement came following the Bombay high
Court recently upholding the state government`s decision to
enforce mandatory electronic meters.
The union leaders met at Parel here today to work out
the modalities of the agitation seeking immediate hike in
Rao said he would approach the apex court over the
mandatory installation of e-meters, in an appeal against the
Rao`s Mumbai Autorickshaw Men`s Union had approached
HC, seeking a withdrawal of the state?s notification of
fitting mandatory e-meters from April 1 for three-wheelers.
The court had dismissed the petition, saying it did
not find any merit in the plea.
Rao said his union would go on an indefinite strike
from April 16 seeking a hike in the minimum fare from Rs 11 to
Rs 16 and from Rs 7 to 9 for every additional kilometre.
He demanded a hike on par with the fare in Delhi
(Rs19) and Bangalore (Rs 17). "We want the hike to be on par
with these two cities. In Mumbai, the cost of living is not
cheaper than that in these two cities so the autorickshaw fare
should be also be similar to that of these two other metros,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs