80 more hazardous cylinders were found in MPT premises: NDRF
Mumbai: The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), which is undertaking neutralisation of chlorine gas from cylinders at Mumbai Port Trust (MPT) following the
gas leakage incident, said 80 more hazardous gas cylinders were found in the MPT premises in south Mumbai.
Among the 136 cylinders lying uncleared in the MPT since 13 years -- one of which leaked on July 14 in which over 120 fell sick after inhaling the gas -- not only six but
nearly 100 cylinders contained chlorine gas, the NDRF said.
Earlier, MPT had claimed that among the 136 containers, only six cylinders contained gas and one of them had leaked.
"MPT officials told us that there are another 80 more cylinders, with small quantity of hazardous gas, inside the premises. Initially they said there were 136 cylinders and
only six of them contained chlorine gas. And one of the six leaked last week," Shahbuddin Ahmed, Assistant Commandant of NDRF, told a news agency.
"But now they say there are 80 more containers which were found in two different locations in the MPT premises," he added.
This was revealed by MPT to the NDRF in a meeting held recently between them.
"In the 100 gas cylinders lot, we have degassed over 85 containers. It would take another few days to neutralise remaining 15," he said.
Later, they would take the neutralisation work of the newly found 80 cylinders, Ahmed added.
The NDRF is using lorry tankers with full of mixture of solution of lime, water and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) to neutralise the gas containers.
Meanwhile, an enquiry report by the MPT into the chlorine gas leakage incident is expected to be ready by next week, officials said.
They said that the consignment of 136 cylinders had been imported by Mumbai-based Agro Gases Pvt Ltd.
Police had registered an FIR in the case against unidentified persons under the relevant section of the IPC and Environment Act, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Delhi horror: Pedophile held for sexually assaulting 600 girls
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre