80 more hazardous cylinders were found in MPT premises: NDRF
Mumbai: The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), which is undertaking neutralisation of chlorine gas from cylinders at Mumbai Port Trust (MPT) following the
gas leakage incident, said 80 more hazardous gas cylinders were found in the MPT premises in south Mumbai.
Among the 136 cylinders lying uncleared in the MPT since 13 years -- one of which leaked on July 14 in which over 120 fell sick after inhaling the gas -- not only six but
nearly 100 cylinders contained chlorine gas, the NDRF said.
Earlier, MPT had claimed that among the 136 containers, only six cylinders contained gas and one of them had leaked.
"MPT officials told us that there are another 80 more cylinders, with small quantity of hazardous gas, inside the premises. Initially they said there were 136 cylinders and
only six of them contained chlorine gas. And one of the six leaked last week," Shahbuddin Ahmed, Assistant Commandant of NDRF, told a news agency.
"But now they say there are 80 more containers which were found in two different locations in the MPT premises," he added.
This was revealed by MPT to the NDRF in a meeting held recently between them.
"In the 100 gas cylinders lot, we have degassed over 85 containers. It would take another few days to neutralise remaining 15," he said.
Later, they would take the neutralisation work of the newly found 80 cylinders, Ahmed added.
The NDRF is using lorry tankers with full of mixture of solution of lime, water and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) to neutralise the gas containers.
Meanwhile, an enquiry report by the MPT into the chlorine gas leakage incident is expected to be ready by next week, officials said.
They said that the consignment of 136 cylinders had been imported by Mumbai-based Agro Gases Pvt Ltd.
Police had registered an FIR in the case against unidentified persons under the relevant section of the IPC and Environment Act, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad