Aadhaar card would cut out bogus beneficiaries: Maha CM
Mumbai: Stating that all the government services would be linked with Aadhaar card, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Monday said the money meant for the beneficiaries will be transferred directly into his/her bank account.
"Bogus beneficiaries will be curbed because of Aadhaar card," Chavan was quoted as saying in an official press release.
The Chief Minister today met Chairman of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIAI), Nandan Nilekani.
Rajesh Aggarwal, secretary, Information and Technology, said during the meeting Nilekani suggested that state government should have more `business correspondents`, who act as representatives of banks in remote areas.
"It will be equivalent to a bank branch," Aggarwal said.
He also said that Nilekani appreciated the performance of Maharashtra in enrolling for Aadhaar card.
"He talked about how to make enrollment more quicker," Aggarwal said, adding that enrollment was over in slum areas of Mumbai and Pune.
"In Mumbai, the Aadhaar card has reached 60 lakh people."
Around 4.07 crore people have enrolled for the Aadhaar card in the state, and 3.44 crore have received it.
Reserve Bank of India Governor, Dr D Subbarao, has directed the banks to accept Aadhaar card as a proof of address, and to link it with existing accounts, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31