Aadhaar card would cut out bogus beneficiaries: Maha CM
Mumbai: Stating that all the government services would be linked with Aadhaar card, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Monday said the money meant for the beneficiaries will be transferred directly into his/her bank account.
"Bogus beneficiaries will be curbed because of Aadhaar card," Chavan was quoted as saying in an official press release.
The Chief Minister today met Chairman of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIAI), Nandan Nilekani.
Rajesh Aggarwal, secretary, Information and Technology, said during the meeting Nilekani suggested that state government should have more `business correspondents`, who act as representatives of banks in remote areas.
"It will be equivalent to a bank branch," Aggarwal said.
He also said that Nilekani appreciated the performance of Maharashtra in enrolling for Aadhaar card.
"He talked about how to make enrollment more quicker," Aggarwal said, adding that enrollment was over in slum areas of Mumbai and Pune.
"In Mumbai, the Aadhaar card has reached 60 lakh people."
Around 4.07 crore people have enrolled for the Aadhaar card in the state, and 3.44 crore have received it.
Reserve Bank of India Governor, Dr D Subbarao, has directed the banks to accept Aadhaar card as a proof of address, and to link it with existing accounts, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes