Aadhar-based cash transfer to start in five Maharashtra districts
Pune: Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Saturday said here that Maharashtra will be implementing the Aadhar-based direct cash transfer project, aimed at reducing pilferage, in five districts starting next year.
"Five districts in the state -- among total of 51 from across the country -- will be implementing the project from next year," Chavan told reporters here on the sidelines of a banking event.
He claimed that the state was leader in the enrolment for Aadhar numbers, with 4 crore people registered so far. The administration will come up with innovative applications of Aadhar number, he said.
Earlier in the day, inaugurating the two-day annual banking conference `Bancon`, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram had announced that government would launch the direct cash transfer programme in 51 districts from January 1.
Addressing the conference, Chavan said the Centre would next come up with "right to credit" as a part of its social sector agenda.
He also expressed confidence that the Centre will persist with reforms in spite of the difficulties it was facing in the Parliament.
He asked the bankers to work on innovative solutions like voice-based e-banking.
The Chief Minister also thanked nationalised banks, led by the leading banker from the state Bank of Maharashtra, for their aggressive lending to farmers in Maharashtra.
There was a 46 percent jump in farm credit by commercial banks over the last year which has helped pull the total contribution between cooperative banks and commercial banks to 50:50 level from the earlier 75:25, he noted.
He urged the banks to help local civic bodies raise money by selling bonds, and added that credit rating agencies, in which banks hold considerable stakes, can prove a big help and rate such issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune