Aadhar-based cash transfer to start in five Maharashtra districts
Pune: Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Saturday said here that Maharashtra will be implementing the Aadhar-based direct cash transfer project, aimed at reducing pilferage, in five districts starting next year.
"Five districts in the state -- among total of 51 from across the country -- will be implementing the project from next year," Chavan told reporters here on the sidelines of a banking event.
He claimed that the state was leader in the enrolment for Aadhar numbers, with 4 crore people registered so far. The administration will come up with innovative applications of Aadhar number, he said.
Earlier in the day, inaugurating the two-day annual banking conference `Bancon`, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram had announced that government would launch the direct cash transfer programme in 51 districts from January 1.
Addressing the conference, Chavan said the Centre would next come up with "right to credit" as a part of its social sector agenda.
He also expressed confidence that the Centre will persist with reforms in spite of the difficulties it was facing in the Parliament.
He asked the bankers to work on innovative solutions like voice-based e-banking.
The Chief Minister also thanked nationalised banks, led by the leading banker from the state Bank of Maharashtra, for their aggressive lending to farmers in Maharashtra.
There was a 46 percent jump in farm credit by commercial banks over the last year which has helped pull the total contribution between cooperative banks and commercial banks to 50:50 level from the earlier 75:25, he noted.
He urged the banks to help local civic bodies raise money by selling bonds, and added that credit rating agencies, in which banks hold considerable stakes, can prove a big help and rate such issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30