About 30,000 barrels of oil spilled in Mumbai harbour: ICG
Mumbai: The rupture in ONGC`s Mumbai-Uran
pipeline resulted in about 30,000 barrels of crude leaking
into the ocean, an Indian Coast Guard (ICG) official said
According to the ICG, they received information regarding
a rupture in the pipeline, leading to leakage of crude oil, in
"We immediately launched operation `Paryavaran Suraksha`
to mitigate the effects of the oil spill," ICG DIG Mukesh
He said two ships, ICGS Sangram and C-145, which were
patrolling off the Mumbai coastline, were diverted to the area
of the oil spill for assessment and containment.
According to the Coast Guard, Dornier Aircraft were used
to carry out a preliminary assessment of the total area and
quantum of the oil spill. In addition, Pollution Control
Vehicle Samudra Prahari was used to contain and recover oil
from the area, the officials said.
He also said that reasons behind the oil spill were not
known, but ruled out any possibility of sabotage.
Meanwhile, the ICG has formally served a notice on ONGC
over the oil spill.
"We and the DG Shipping have served notice to ONGC asking
them to help us in the salvage operation. It is a normal
procedure," said Purohit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India