Abu Azmi sentenced to 2-year jail term
Mumbai: A local court on Monday convicted and sentenced Samajwadi Party (SP) MLA Abu Azmi to two years in jail for allegedly giving provocative speeches to incite communal violence 12 years back.
The Mazgaon metropolitan magistrate`s court convicted Azmi and four others under section 153 (a) and 153 (b) of the Indian Penal Code and has sentenced all of them to two years imprisonment. The court has also imposed a fine of Rs 11000 on each of the accused.
The court has however suspended the sentence handed over to the accused so as to allow them to approach the sessions court challenging the conviction.
The case dates back to year 2000 when Azmi had allegedly given a provocative speech at Nagpada in south Mumbai against Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray and Congress leader Narayan Rane.
"Azmi had also made a statement that if the Muslim community is troubled by anyone, then no one would be spared. The statement was made to incite violence between two communities," prosecutor Varsha Doshi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'