Abu Jundal`s trial in 26/11 case to start before Mumbai court
Mumbai: Six months after the police filed the chargesheet against suspected LeT operative and key plotter of 26/11 Mumbai terror strike Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari, the trial is set to start.
"The (26/11 attack-related) case has been assigned to sessions judge U B Hejib and the hearing will start this week," said a crime branch officer on Wednesday.
Mumbai crime branch took Ansari alias Abu Jundal`s custody from Delhi police in the 26/11 case on July 21, 2012, and filed the chargesheet in October 2012.
The chargesheet says he was a key conspirator who was in the `control room` in Pakistan during the attacks and gave instructions to the terrorists.
A native of Beed district of Maharashtra, Jundal was interrogated after he was brought here from Delhi where he had been arrested following his deportation from Saudi Arabia in June 2012.
Mumbai terror attacks of November 2008 left 166 dead and many more injured.
The chargesheet has details about Jundal`s training in Pakistan, preparations ahead of 26/11, LeT hierarchy, the precise role played those involved, etc.
According to Jundal`s confession, LeT training camps enjoyed full support from local, federal police and paramilitary organisations in Pakistan.
According to the chargesheet, after fleeing Maharashtra, Jundal entered Bangladesh in May 2006, where he was received by an ISI agent. He then used a boarding pass issued in a fictitious name to fly PIA flight to Pakistan.
In Maharashtra, Jundal is also accused of involvement in Aurangabad arms haul case, 2010 German Bakery blast case in Pune, and Nashik police academy attack conspiracy case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!