Abu Salem attack case: Cops to quiz accused`s wife, 3 others
Mumbai: The Navi Mumbai police on Saturday got permission from a sessions court to arrest Devendra Jagtap, alias JD, who allegedly fired two rounds with a country-made revolver at extradited gangster Abu Salem at the high-security Taloja jail on Thursday.
"We had to take the permission of the court to arrest him as he is an under-trial," said a police official.
Police sources also said that so far they have recorded the statements of at least 10 policemen who escorted JD from the sessions court to attend court hearing to the jail on Thursday before the incident. It is suspected that JD smuggled the gun inside the jail on that day.
"Now, we will also be questioning JD`s wife and three others as they had met JD in the court," a source said.
Navi Mumbai Police Commissioner, AK Sharma, had yesterday said the weapon was sneaked inside the jail some days before the incident.
Police have already recorded the statement of Salem in this case.
Meanwhile, sources said Additional Director General of Police (Prisons) Meeran Borwankar will submit a report to State Home Minister RR Patil by Wednesday after an inquiry on security in the jail. Four policemen have already been suspended after they were indicted in a preliminary inquiry into the attack on Salem.
JD had fired two rounds at Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, who was extradited from Portugal on November 11, 2005 after a prolonged legal battle.
Investigators said Jagtap, an accused in the murder of advocate Shahid Azmi, who represented 26/11 Mumbai attack accused Faheem Ansari, had gone to Salem`s cell around 8.30 pm and fired two rounds, one of which hit the gangster. However, the gun got jammed in the third attempt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- 'Selfie' with Bulandshahr DM B Chandrakala lands 18-year-old in jail