Abu Salem not "superhuman", not to be handcuffed: Court
Mumbai: Saying that the extradited gangster Abu Salem was not "a superhuman" who would flee when several policemen were guarding him, the special TADA court here on Wednesday granted his plea that police should not handcuff him while ferrying him between the court and the jail.
Salem last month filed an application before the court, taking exception to the handcuffing.
"He is not a superhuman," said Judge GA Sanap, allowing Salem`s plea.
Earlier, the court had questioned the Navi Mumbai police`s argument, where they had said they had intelligence reports saying that he could flee.
The court had said that the report on this "important aspect" was not in writing.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, was extradited from Portugal on November 11, 2005, after a prolonged legal battle.
The Supreme Court of Portugal last year dismissed an appeal of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) challenging termination of the extradition of the underworld don.
Salem was shot by gangster Devendra Jagtap alias JD, an accused in the murder of advocate Shahid Azmi who had represented an 26/11 Mumbai attack accused, at Taloja Central Jail in Navi Mumbai on June 27 last year. Salem was hit in the hand by one of the two rounds, allegedly fired by JD.
Earlier, his lawyers had said that they will move the European Union (EU) seeking execution of the order cancelling his extradition to India by the Portuguese Constitutional Court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!