Abu Salem not "superhuman", not to be handcuffed: Court
Mumbai: Saying that the extradited gangster Abu Salem was not "a superhuman" who would flee when several policemen were guarding him, the special TADA court here on Wednesday granted his plea that police should not handcuff him while ferrying him between the court and the jail.
Salem last month filed an application before the court, taking exception to the handcuffing.
"He is not a superhuman," said Judge GA Sanap, allowing Salem`s plea.
Earlier, the court had questioned the Navi Mumbai police`s argument, where they had said they had intelligence reports saying that he could flee.
The court had said that the report on this "important aspect" was not in writing.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, was extradited from Portugal on November 11, 2005, after a prolonged legal battle.
The Supreme Court of Portugal last year dismissed an appeal of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) challenging termination of the extradition of the underworld don.
Salem was shot by gangster Devendra Jagtap alias JD, an accused in the murder of advocate Shahid Azmi who had represented an 26/11 Mumbai attack accused, at Taloja Central Jail in Navi Mumbai on June 27 last year. Salem was hit in the hand by one of the two rounds, allegedly fired by JD.
Earlier, his lawyers had said that they will move the European Union (EU) seeking execution of the order cancelling his extradition to India by the Portuguese Constitutional Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?