Abu Salem not "superhuman", not to be handcuffed: Court
Mumbai: Saying that the extradited gangster Abu Salem was not "a superhuman" who would flee when several policemen were guarding him, the special TADA court here on Wednesday granted his plea that police should not handcuff him while ferrying him between the court and the jail.
Salem last month filed an application before the court, taking exception to the handcuffing.
"He is not a superhuman," said Judge GA Sanap, allowing Salem`s plea.
Earlier, the court had questioned the Navi Mumbai police`s argument, where they had said they had intelligence reports saying that he could flee.
The court had said that the report on this "important aspect" was not in writing.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, was extradited from Portugal on November 11, 2005, after a prolonged legal battle.
The Supreme Court of Portugal last year dismissed an appeal of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) challenging termination of the extradition of the underworld don.
Salem was shot by gangster Devendra Jagtap alias JD, an accused in the murder of advocate Shahid Azmi who had represented an 26/11 Mumbai attack accused, at Taloja Central Jail in Navi Mumbai on June 27 last year. Salem was hit in the hand by one of the two rounds, allegedly fired by JD.
Earlier, his lawyers had said that they will move the European Union (EU) seeking execution of the order cancelling his extradition to India by the Portuguese Constitutional Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region