Accused in drug peddling let off after 17-yrs for no evidence
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, July 05, 2010, 18:14
Mumbai: Seventeen years after being granted bail in a drug peddling case, Maliram Saharsar (38) was last week summoned by a special NDPS court and sent to jail only to be later discharged from the case.

Saharsar's case is one of the matters that came up for hearing during the 1992-93 Hindu-Muslim riots where the city was so tense that even judicial offices came to a standstill for over a month.

Saharsar, a labourer from Rajasthan, was arrested in 1992 in a drug peddling case but was released on bail in October 1992. When his case came up for hearing post the Babri Masjid demolition, curfew was imposed in the city.

"His case came up for hearing again on January 12 but there was a second round of riots in the city. Saharsar had come to court on both the dates but the courts were shut. The court documents marking his presence in court on the hearing dates were also misplaced," his lawyer Ayaz Khan said.

Now, after 17 years, a non-bailable warrant was issued against the accused after he failed to appear before the court despite repeated summons sent to him.

"Soon after he received the warrant, he came to the court, which however arrested him and sent him to judicial custody," Khan said.

According to Khan, Saharsar was not aware of the summons sent to him by the court on previous occasions as they were sent to a wrong address.

Special NDPS Judge M V Kulkarni on Saturday, however, discharged Saharsar from the case after observing that there is no case made out against him.

The case dates back to October 1992, when Saharsar was arrested on the basis of a statement given by a co-accused Umed Khan Bhawar, who claimed that Saharsar had collected narcotic substances from him in Rajasthan and brought it to Mumbai. However the police had not seized any narcotics from Saharsar.


First Published: Monday, July 05, 2010, 18:14

comments powered by Disqus