Accused in drug peddling let off after 17-yrs for no evidence
Mumbai: Seventeen years after being
granted bail in a drug peddling case, Maliram Saharsar (38)
was last week summoned by a special NDPS court and sent to
jail only to be later discharged from the case.
Saharsar`s case is one of the matters that came up for
hearing during the 1992-93 Hindu-Muslim riots where the city
was so tense that even judicial offices came to a standstill
for over a month.
Saharsar, a labourer from Rajasthan, was arrested in
1992 in a drug peddling case but was released on bail in
October 1992. When his case came up for hearing post the Babri
Masjid demolition, curfew was imposed in the city.
"His case came up for hearing again on January 12 but
there was a second round of riots in the city. Saharsar had
come to court on both the dates but the courts were shut. The
court documents marking his presence in court on the hearing
dates were also misplaced," his lawyer Ayaz Khan said.
Now, after 17 years, a non-bailable warrant was issued
against the accused after he failed to appear before the court
despite repeated summons sent to him.
"Soon after he received the warrant, he came to the
court, which however arrested him and sent him to judicial
custody," Khan said.
According to Khan, Saharsar was not aware of the
summons sent to him by the court on previous occasions as they
were sent to a wrong address.
Special NDPS Judge M V Kulkarni on Saturday, however,
discharged Saharsar from the case after observing that there
is no case made out against him.
The case dates back to October 1992, when Saharsar was
arrested on the basis of a statement given by a co-accused
Umed Khan Bhawar, who claimed that Saharsar had collected
narcotic substances from him in Rajasthan and brought it to
Mumbai. However the police had not seized any narcotics from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA