Accused in Mumbai eve-teasing murders identified
Mumbai: An identification parade of four
accused in the murder of two youths who resisted eve-teasing
in suburban Amboli was on Wednesday conducted in a city jail in which
the eyewitnesses recognised the attackers, police said.
"An identification parade was today conducted in the
Arthur Road jail when the 12 eyewitnesses identified the four
accused saying they were the ones who killed the youths," V D
Bhoite, senior inspector of DN Nagar police station, said.
The victims` friends and people standing at the spot were
among the witnesses present in the jail today, police said.
On October 20, Reuben Fernandez (28) and Keenan Santos
(25) were attacked by a group of four after the duo objected
to their acts of indecent behaviour against girls with whom
they had gone on an outing. Keenan died on the spot, while
Fernandez died in a hospital after a few days.
Santos and Fernandez, along with five others, including
three girls, had gone to a restaurant to have dinner and watch
a cricket match on a giant screen put up there. After a while,
they came out of the restaurant and were standing near a
pan-shop when the incident had occurred.
"An executive magistrate was present during the parade.
The result was positive as the witnesses have identified all
the accused and this will strengthen our case, which is
already watertight. The report by the executive magistrate
will be now compiled and sent to court concerned," said Deputy
Commissioner of Police Pratap Dighavkar.
The accused have been charged under sections 302
(murder), 354 (insulting the modesty of woman) and 506
(criminal intimidation) of IPC.
"When I went to identify them, they had no guilt at all
... no remorse at all," said Priyanka Fernandes, Keenan`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days