Acid attack on Maharashtra scribe, kin
Mumbai: A journalist and his family were victims of an acid attack by local political activists in another assault on the media in Maharashtra, an official said here Wednesday.
Dinesh S Choudhary, 40, his wife Arsana and teenaged daughter Rashmi were attacked in their house in Tilak Nagar in Purna town in Parbhani district, police said.
Police said the attackers, one of whom is local Congress activist Sayed Ali `Don` and an unidentified man, barged into Choudhary`s house just before midnight, threw acid on them and escaped.
"They were rushed to the Yashoda Hospital in Nanded where their condition is stated to be serious but stable," police said.
Choudhary is working as a Purna-based district correspondent with Solapur Tarun Bharat newspaper.
Narayan Karanjkar, the editor of the publication, said the attack was instigated by Sayed Ali and his accomplices after Choudhary wrote a scathing article on the gutka mafia operating in and around Parbhani.
"All local media organisations have condemned the incident. Journalists from Marathwada region will take out a procession here Saturday to express solidarity with Choudhary," Karanjkar told IANS.
Meanwhile, in Mumbai state Home Minister R.R. Patil took serious note of the incident and directed the Parbhani district police to provide protection to the family.
Following Choudhary`s complaint, police said a case has been registered against Sayed Ali `Don` and other "unknown" people.
Purna town is 580 km from Mumbai in Marathwada region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened