Action against couples found in isolated places: Mumbai Police
Mumbai: Couples found meeting in isolated places in Mumbai may land in trouble if a recent directive from the Police Commissioner is implemented.
Police described the move as a "preventive" step aimed at saving such couples from becoming victim of miscreants.
During a recently held meeting, Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh gave instructions to all the police stations to keep a vigil at isolated places in their jurisdictions where couples often meet and ask them to vacate such places.
According to police, the couples would be first asked to leave the place. In case they do not listen, action would be initiated against them under relevant sections of Bombay Police Act.
"The reason behind this move is that we do not want them (couples) to face the risk of becoming victim of miscreants. It is a preventive measure," Mumbai Police spokesperson Ambadas Pote said on Thursday.
The move comes in wake of the Delhi gang-rape case last month that rocked the nation.
Many couples are often found sitting at Mumbai`s beaches and other isolated places, another officer said.
The places identified for the purpose include - Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Worli Sea Face, Marine Drive, Bandra Band Stand, Versova beach, Aksa beach, Dadar Chowpatty, Madh Island, Gorai, Manori beach, Girgaum Chowpatty and Juhu beach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Attempt to provoke India again? Pak aircraft violates Indian airspace in J&K
- No blanket ban on pellet guns in Kashmir Valley, to be used in 'rarest of rare cases'
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out