Action against couples found in isolated places: Mumbai Police
Mumbai: Couples found meeting in isolated places in Mumbai may land in trouble if a recent directive from the Police Commissioner is implemented.
Police described the move as a "preventive" step aimed at saving such couples from becoming victim of miscreants.
During a recently held meeting, Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh gave instructions to all the police stations to keep a vigil at isolated places in their jurisdictions where couples often meet and ask them to vacate such places.
According to police, the couples would be first asked to leave the place. In case they do not listen, action would be initiated against them under relevant sections of Bombay Police Act.
"The reason behind this move is that we do not want them (couples) to face the risk of becoming victim of miscreants. It is a preventive measure," Mumbai Police spokesperson Ambadas Pote said on Thursday.
The move comes in wake of the Delhi gang-rape case last month that rocked the nation.
Many couples are often found sitting at Mumbai`s beaches and other isolated places, another officer said.
The places identified for the purpose include - Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Worli Sea Face, Marine Drive, Bandra Band Stand, Versova beach, Aksa beach, Dadar Chowpatty, Madh Island, Gorai, Manori beach, Girgaum Chowpatty and Juhu beach.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India