Action on cops over girls arrest after probe report: Maharashtra CM
Mumbai: With Maharashtra government under fire for the arrest of two girls over their criticism of the Mumbai shutdown during Bal Thackeray`s funeral, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday said he will act once the probe report is submitted.
Talking to reporters here, Chavan said he would take action regarding the arrest of the two girls once he received the report from the police officer who has been asked to probe the entire episode which evoked sharp criticism.
"I have instructed an inquiry to be conducted by a very senior officer immediately. I will act as soon as I receive the report," he said.
The Chief Minister said he expected to get the report by Wednesday (tomorrow).
Two girls - Shaheen Dhada and Renu - were arrested in adjoining Thane district on Sunday over their post on the popular social networking site opposing the shutdown in Mumbai for Shiv Sena chief Thackeray`s funeral.
They were later granted bail.
The probe report would highlight how an IPC section like 505(2) (that pertains to statements which create or promote enmity, hatred or ill-will between classes) had been slapped against the girls and who was responsible for their arrest, the Chief Minister said.
The arrests had sparked an outrage with Press Council of India chief Markandey Katju demanding "immediate" action against the police personnel involved in the arrest of the two girls.
In an e-mail to Chavan, Katju warned of "legal consequences" if he failed to take action against the police personnel concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read