Action on cops over girls arrest after probe report: Maharashtra CM
Mumbai: With Maharashtra government under fire for the arrest of two girls over their criticism of the Mumbai shutdown during Bal Thackeray`s funeral, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday said he will act once the probe report is submitted.
Talking to reporters here, Chavan said he would take action regarding the arrest of the two girls once he received the report from the police officer who has been asked to probe the entire episode which evoked sharp criticism.
"I have instructed an inquiry to be conducted by a very senior officer immediately. I will act as soon as I receive the report," he said.
The Chief Minister said he expected to get the report by Wednesday (tomorrow).
Two girls - Shaheen Dhada and Renu - were arrested in adjoining Thane district on Sunday over their post on the popular social networking site opposing the shutdown in Mumbai for Shiv Sena chief Thackeray`s funeral.
They were later granted bail.
The probe report would highlight how an IPC section like 505(2) (that pertains to statements which create or promote enmity, hatred or ill-will between classes) had been slapped against the girls and who was responsible for their arrest, the Chief Minister said.
The arrests had sparked an outrage with Press Council of India chief Markandey Katju demanding "immediate" action against the police personnel involved in the arrest of the two girls.
In an e-mail to Chavan, Katju warned of "legal consequences" if he failed to take action against the police personnel concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why