Activist banned from examining Adarsh witnesses
Mumbai: Observing that activist Santosh
Daundkar had made allegations against three former Maharashtra
chief ministers without any evidence, the judicial panel
probing the Adarsh Housing Society scam has prohibited him
from examining witnesses.
Adarsh`s lawyer Saket Mone had filed a plea which sought
to bar Daundkar from cross-examining any witnesses in the
Adarsh scam as the activist was not a practising lawyer or
someone who could be personally affected by the case.
The commission, headed by Justice (retd) JA Patil held
that Daundkar, in his affidavits and during his deposition,
had made allegations against several bureaucrats and three
former Chief Ministers. But "the allegations have been made on
the basis of suspicion and without any documentary evidence".
Nor did he have any personal stake in the case.
"He (Daundkar) has admitted that he got affidavits
drafted by advocate. Daundkar is unable to explain meanings of
certain words in the affidavit. Thus we feel that he would not
be in a position to assist the Commission and giving him the
opportunity to cross-examine would only result in waste of
valuable time," the Commission said.
Daundkar`s affidavit accuses former Chief Ministers
Sushil Kumar Shinde, Vilasrao Deshmukh and Ashok Chavan of
flouting rules to favour Adarsh.
Adarsh, a 31-storey building in the upscale south Mumbai,
was originally meant for the kin of martyrs of Kargil war, but
it is alleged that others, including some high-ranking
bureaucrats, got flats in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks